Hello, once again. 25 questions for you with a bit of an emphasis on early English history. Due to several requests (or, indeed, constant nagging) I've put the answers directly after the questions.
1. Who was the commander of the Viking force that was defeated by Alfred the Great at the Battle of Edington?
2. With 31, who holds the record for winning the most Grammy Awards?
3. What was the name of the English King upon which Shakespeare based his play 'Cymbeline'?
4. Which famous poet took boxing lessons from the celebrated pugilist John Jackson, better known as Gentleman Jackson?
5. What was the name of the brother of Edward the Confessor who was murdered by followers of Harold Harefoot in 1036?
6. Found in South Africa, which is the world's second highest waterfall?
7. What was the name of the husband of Boudicca?
8. Prior to the publication of 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone', which 1939 novel had been the world's best-selling fictional work of the 20th Century?
AND THEN THERE WERE NONE (by AGATHA CHRISTIE)
9. As a child Alfred the Great was sent on a mission to Rome to meet with which Pope?
10. What name did Tacitus give to the unidentified Scottish mountain upon the slopes of which 10,000 Caledonians were slaughtered by the Roman army in 79AD?
11. Who was the first person to win two Academy Awards for Best Actress?
12. In 927AD, who became the first King to be officially crowned as 'King of England'?
13. After Harvard, which is the USA's next oldest university?
COLLEGE OF WILLIAM AND MARY (in Virginia)
14. What is the literal meaning of the word 'Pict'?
15. Which Australian middle and long distance runner set 17 world records during the 1960s but never won an Olympic gold medal?
16. Who was the father of King Cnut?
17. After Canada, which country has the next longest coastline?
18. Which English village, then an important city, was known to the Romans as Viriconium?
19. After the USA and Israel, which country has the next largest Jewish population?
20. What name was given to any of the 30 defensive forts built by Alfred the Great in order to keep the Vikings out of Wessex after the Battle of Edington?
21. Which is Africa's largest landlocked country?
22. At which castle is Catherine of Aragon buried?
23. Which King of East Anglia is thought to have been the king who was laid in the Viking longboat discovered at Sutton Hoo?
24. Who won an Oscar in 1944 for her performance as Cary Grant's mother in 'None But the Lonely Heart'?
25. At 2,190 metres deep, the Voronya or Krubera Cave is the world's deepest. In which country is it found?